Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thriftista Presents: Dollarama

I bought a shower curtain rod from Superstore the other day...I returned it because we decided to keep the one we have. It was $9.99, a bit cheaper that Rona where the same item was priced at +/- $11.99

BUT...both prices don't even come close to Dollarama where the same freaking shower curtain (tension rod, white - same manufacturer's label and everything) was there for $2. How is this possible? Is Dollarama importing products at unethically low rates from [China]? Probably, but Realistically, I truly believe that each and every big box/commercial store we shop at (minus 10,000 Villages) imports products in the same way, for the same price - each store just caters to a different market group. I'm not saying it's right, but for now, many items that are available at Walmart, Superstore, Rona, Scholar's Choice, etc. are also available for a fraction of the price at Dollarama.

Here are some items that I saw at Dollarama today that shocked me/that I only buy at Dollarama (items range from $1 to $2.50):

  • Aluminum stove element protectors (packages of 5)
  • Shower curtain rod
  • Bath mats (10x the price at Walmart, seriously) 
  • Knock off Mr. Clean Eraser
  • Knock off Swiffer products
  • Toddler potty seat (I bought one for each Grandparent's house)
  • Baby bibs (identical to the ones at Toys R Us)
  • Boxes of band-aids
  • Pregnancy tests (ok - this is a little personal, but I've tried them and they work! If you're going to be doing 3 in a row save yourself at least $27 and go to the buck store. I've had expensive pregnancy tests FAIL on me - as in NOT WORK - and the dollar store ones have worked every time)
  • Garden ornaments
  • Foil helium filled balloons
  • Scrap booking supplies (acid free stickers, die cut punchers, adhesive dots and strips, etc)
  • Wall decals (removable/reposition-able, including character decals like Tinkerbell)
  • Art canvases
  • Acrylic paints
  • Those black sponge brushes in packages of 5
  • Storage containers (plastic, wicker, paper)
  • Picture Frames
  • Boxes of mailing envelopes
  • Stationary & Supplies (including card stock, glues, variety of writing utensils, desk organization supplies, poster board)
  • 24" x 36" laminated educational posters (teachers, save your money and spend the savings on yourself!)
  • Party supplies (b'day candles, novelty items, goodie bags & fillings, banners, streamers, etc.)
  • A recorder (I bought one for our daughter)
  • Batteries (NEVER will I pay 4.99 for a pack of batteries again - and that's usually the sale price)
  • Stride Gum (they always have it for half the price of 7-11)
  • Glass bowls with plastic lids (I'm slowly replacing my plastic tupperware)
  • And of course, seasonal decorations 
Ok - there's a ton more stuff available for purchase there that I like (including chocolate) but there's also a ton of crap. I'm not saying instead of blowing your hard earned money at a big box, blow it at Dollarama (it's the big box of dollar stores) - I'm just saying, if you're on a budget (who isn't?) then you may want to consider driving yourself to Dollarama instead of [fill in the blank] the next time you need to pick up a few things. It's an option.

My haul:
3 art canvases, box of envelopes, 2 potty seats, 2 bunches bamboo (planting stalks that I'm going to make art out of), art paint pallet (for our daughter, she just needs to add water = more independence), recorder, goo gone, 2 packages batteries, greeting card, 3 bottles acrylic paint, growth chart, big and small burner protectors, fake mr. clean erasers, pack of gum, key chain... $32.42 after taxes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...